Thursday, July 19, 2012

What I wanted to learn more about...

     At the beginning of the semester, I indicated that there was not one specific topic that I wished to go into depth about, but rather that I would like to gain a more broad knowledge of how the environment affects our health as a whole.  Over the course of the semester, I have certainly gained an abundance of knowledge about matters in the environment can harm us, as humans.  I gained a better understanding of the term "Global Environmental Health" and the Kyoto Agreement.  To be honest...I had never even heard of the Kyoto Agreement prior to this class.  Now, can speak on the role the United States played in helping to write the Kyoto Agreement, as well as, the pros and cons of the United States' refusal to sign and participate in the agreement.  I had the opportunity to look into how a contaminated food supply can affect not just a family but a community as a whole.
     While I gained knowledge about a many subjects pertaining to Environmental health, I did focus my chosen topics on Cholera and the effects of Cholera around the world.  I was already aware of how Cholera was spread, but was unaware of other specifics.  I had no clue prior to research that many countries do use an approved Cholera vaccine, the United States recommends the vaccine for some people traveling abroad, but the vaccine is not even available here in the US.  According to statistics, the only known cases of Cholera in the US are imported cases. 

No comments:

Post a Comment